The history of traffic led light can be traced back to more than 150 years ago, earlier than the popularity of motor vehicles. For more than a century, small traffic lights have imperceptibly changed our travel habits and public life style.
In the 19th century, the British Industrial Revolution was completed and became the most developed country in the world. The carriage was still the most important means of transportation for people. London's population grew rapidly and the roads became more and more congested.
On December 10, 1868, in order to protect the safety of the senators when they came out of the parliament hall and crossed the endless street, the gas light traffic light designed and produced by de Hart was officially opened in front of the parliament building.
The lamp was placed on a seven-meter-high bracket, which was enough for the carriage to see from afar. A policeman held a long pole and pulled a belt to control the red and green glass placed on the lampshade, producing red and green lights alternately. The traffic light is also attached with a horn, which means to stop when extending, and to move forward when hanging down.
The first traffic light not only greatly reduced the traffic accidents at the entrance of the Parliament, but also attracted a lot of people and officials from New York, Paris, and Berlin. Someone hired a horse-drawn carriage to pick up and drop off the visitors and made a lot of benefits. Small vendors also circle here to do business. The scene is very lively.
Although the British gas traffic lights are short-lived, they have inspired a new direction for the development of road traffic for mankind. At the beginning of the 20th century, Americans completed a series of important innovations in traffic led lights.
In 1920, William Potts, an American police officer, made the world's first set of red, green and yellow traffic lights with four directions using wires as well as control panels, and put them into use in the United States.